Today is Veteran’s Day and many businesses in the Omaha Council Bluffs area are giving free meals and deals to our veterans. Make sure to bring your Military ID with you when you go.
There are also many local events happening including the American Legion Post 1 ceremony at 11am in Memorial Park. Mayor Jean Stothert and other guests will speak. This is an outdoor event and social distancing will be practiced.
Because of the COVID -19 virus there will be social distancing and mask requirements this year. Check with your restaurant or event for their rules and protocol.
Happy Veteran’s Day to all of our Veterans!!
Free Meals and Deals
Applebee’s: Applebee’s generally has had a special menu of free meals for veterans. This year, Applebee’s says that its offers will vary because of the coronavirus pandemic as some of its dining rooms are closed. Applebee’s encourages you to check your neighborhood restaurant for details.
BJ’s Brewhouse and Restaurants: Veterans and active duty can get a free entrée of up to $14.95 and a Dr. Pepper beverage for both dine-in and take out. The offer can be obtained online by using the promo code “VETERAN.”
Buffalo Wild Wings: The wing joint is serving 10 free boneless wings with fries to all active duty and veterans. The offer is good for both dine-in and carry out.
California Pizza Kitchen: With proof of service, veterans and active duty are able to select from a limited menu, which includes six pizzas, four full-size salads or three pasta dishes. The offer also comes with a free beverage. The offer is dine-in or walk-in take out only.
Chili’s: With proof of service, veterans and active duty can enjoy a free entrée from a menu of seven entrees, including the Just Bacon Burger and Chicken Crispers. The offer is dine-in only.
Cracker Barrel: Veterans can enjoy a free double chocolate fudge Coca-Cola cake or a pumpkin pie latte.
Dunkin: Vets and active duty can get a free doughnut of their choice at participating locations on Wednesday.
Golden Corral: The buffet joint is offering current and active duty military and reservists a free meal at the buffet that can be redeemed from now through the end of May. The offer can be redeemed Mondays through Thursdays.
Hy-Vee: Free breakfast while supplies last at participating stores.
Little Caesars: The pizza joint will offer its typical $5 lunch of four slices and a 20-ounce beverage for free to veterans and active military from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday.
Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium: Offering free gate admission to all active military members, veterans, and their immediate families on Veterans Day.
Quaker Steak and Lube: The restaurant is offering free meals for veterans and active duty.
Red Lobster: Red Lobster is serving a free appetizer or dessert with proof of service for dine-in only. Veterans and active duty can choose from seven appetizers or four desserts.
Red Robin: This burger joint is giving veterans and active duty a free Red’s Tavern Double Burger and bottomless fries. In an effort to elevate crowds on Veterans Day, Red Robin is extending the offer from November 12 through 30, and the offer is good for both dine-in and carry out.
Veteran’s Day Events
- Omaha’s Open Door Mission will host a Salute to the Red, White and Blue to honor American veterans who are experiencing homelessness. The event will be held Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at the Garland Thompson Men’s Center, 2705 N 20th St E.
- American Legion Post 374 at 13913 S St. in Millard will host a pork tenderloin supper at its post from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. The post recently closed for 10 days because of the pandemic. Its adjutant, Army veteran Greg Petersen, died Oct. 29 after contracting the coronavirus.
- VFW Post 2503 at 8904 Military Road will hold a spaghetti feed from 2 to 7 p.m. Wednesday. Masks and social distancing are required, as per Ricketts’ orders, according to the post’s Facebook page. For takeout, call 402-571-8397.
- American Legion Post 32 at 230 W. Lincoln St. in Papillion has canceled its ceremony because of the pandemic, but Moran’s Grill at the post is still offering a free spaghetti dinner (dine in or takeout) from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 to 8 p.m. For takeout, call 402-677-1142.
- The La Vista Community Foundation will host a virtual Salute to Veterans at 4 p.m. Former Sen. and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and University of Nebraska President Ted Carter will be the guest speakers. The event will feature patriotic music and a tribute to each of the service branches. It may be viewed on the foundation’s Facebook page or YouTube channel.
(Content courtesy of KMTV 3 News Now and the Omaha World Herald)