The term “county” is used in 48 U.S. states, while Louisiana and Alaska have functionally equivalent subdivisions called parishes and boroughs, respectively. The most common county name is Washington with 31. The most common non-presidential county name is Franklin with 25.
1790: 292 Counties…1850: 1,621 Counties…1900: 2,713 Counties…1920 3,041 Counties
1) The oldest county is in Pennsylvania?
2) The state with the smallest amount of counties is Rhode Island?
3) The state with the most counties is Georgia?
4) The most populous county is in New York state?
1) Fake…Virginia, established in 1634.
2) Fake…it’s Delaware with 3. Rhode Island has 5, as does Hawaii.
3) Fake…Texas with 234. Georgia is 2nd with 159.
4) Fake…California. Los Angeles County is home to over 10 million people. New York City by the way is separated into a few different counties.