It’s National Eat Your Vegetables Day, and we learned last week that broccoli is the nation’s favorite veggie. Broccoli originated in Italy off the Mediterranean. It has been eaten there since the time of the ancient Romans in the 6th Century BC.
1) Thomas Jefferson banned broccoli from official State dinners?
2) Wisconsin is the largest producer of broccoli in the U.S.?
3) Broccoli and radishes are both in the same plant family?
4) The world record for eating a pound of broccoli is 2 minutes and 14 seconds?
1) Fake…he was a big fan and imported seeds from Italy to plant at Monticello.
2) Fake…California produces 90% of America’s yield, which is the 3rd largest in the world.
3) Fact…Brassicaceae. It’s also home to cabbage, cauliflower, turnips, and kale.
4) Fake…92 seconds, by Tom Landers of Lubbock, Texas.