1) It’s named Times Square after the New York Times?
2) The Lincoln Highway, which runs through Omaha, started in Times Square?
3) There were no New Year’s Eve ball drops during World War 2?
4) The ball is raised and lowered by hand?
1) Fact, it used to be called Longacre Square, but was changed in 1904 when the Times relocated to the
2) Fact, in 1913at the corner of Broadway and 42nd street. It ends in San Francisco.
3) Fake…it was only cancelled for 1942 and 1943 due to wartime lighting restrictions.
4) Fake…it’s now computer controlled and weighs 12,000 pounds. The first ball drop happened in 1907 and it weighed 700 pounds and was hoisted by 6 men.